Cooking blueberries for the winter is an interesting, not complicated process. You can make many delicious preparations from the berry. But the main thing is that all of them will be useful, since this berry is a storehouse of vitamins and minerals. Its beneficial effect on the organs of vision has been proven for a long time. Blueberries are a powerful antioxidant, pectins help cleanse the intestines and the whole body.
Features of harvesting blueberries for the winter
The methods of harvesting berries for the winter are different, but their features come down to general principles: the correct choice and preparation.
The specifics of the choice of berries
Blueberries should be fresh, have intact skins, not crushed. You can use the crushed berry for freezing, making wine, liquor.
The fruits must be washed, the existing debris (twigs, leaves), spoiled fruits should be removed. The presence of garbage is unavoidable due to the method of collection. Pour water over the berry, all debris will float up, then it is easier to remove .
What can be prepared from blueberries at home?
Cooking options vary. Canning is not difficult, and the dishes are tasty and healthy.
You can keep it dry. For this, electric dryers, an oven are used, or you can simply dry it in a well-ventilated place, without direct sunlight.
Is it possible to freeze?
You can prepare by freezing.
- Lay out the washed berry on a cotton cloth, dry it.
- Fold in portions in polyethylene bags or plastic containers. The size of the workpiece should be designed for single use, since re-freezing is prohibited.
- Put in the freezer.
Blueberries mashed with sugar
It is not difficult to make such a blank, the main thing is to choose the right proportions so that the product does not ferment. It should only be kept refrigerated. If the product is stored in the freezer, sugar will be required 3 times less. The advantage is the absence of heat treatment, the preservation of vitamins.
- blueberries – 1 kilogram;
- sugar – 1 kilogram.
- Washed berries must be completely dry, otherwise the workpiece may ferment. Containers for preparation and storage – only sterilized.
- Grind prepared berries with a blender or meat grinder.
- Pour sugar, stir, let stand for half an hour, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Divide into prepared container.
Such a preparation can be made for the future.
- sugar – 1 kilogram;
- berries – 1 kilogram.
- Pour the berries with sugar, mash, leave for 7-8 hours.
- After separating the juice, heat the mass a little, up to 50-60 o.
- Pass through a sieve. Cake can be used for compotes, jelly, marmalade.
- Pour the resulting syrup into a sterilized container. Keep col
If the syrup is not suitable for everyone due to the high sugar content, then the juice will appeal to everyone. Due to the gentle heat treatment, vitamins and valuable elements are preserved in it.
- berries – 1 kilogram;
- sugar – 200-250 grams.
- Pour the berries with sugar, mash, pour in water, heat to 70-80 o.
- Rub through a sieve. Heat to 80-90 and boil (do not boil) for 10 minutes.
- Pour into prepared containers.
- blueberries – 4 kilograms;
- raisins – 150 grams;
- water – 2 liters;
- sugar – 1 kilogram.
- Mash the berries, add raisins, a third of sugar. Cover with gauze, leave for 3-4 days at room conditions.
- When signs of fermentation appear, strain the mass. Pour into a fermentation container. Pour the cake with water, wait a quarter of an hour, squeeze, pour into the juice. Pour 300 grams of sugar, put on a glove with a hole or a water seal. Leave in room conditions.
- After 5 days, add the remaining sugar.
- After 25-50 days, the fermentation process will be completed, the wine will brighten, a sediment will appear. Drain through a thin tube without touching the sediment.
- Fix the resulting liquid with alcohol or vodka. Put in a dark cool room for 2-3 months for exposure. If a precipitate appears, use a straw to pour.
Delicious and healthy dessert, prepared quickly.
- blueberries – 500 grams;
- sugar – 210 grams;
- gelatin – 10 grams;
- water – 150 milliliters.
- Pour the berries with sugar, pour in 100 milliliters of water, crush and boil for 5 minutes.
- Soak gelatin in the remaining water.
- Pass through a sieve.
- Heat the swollen gelatin a little until completely dissolved, pour into the berry liquid, mix, pour into molds
For the winter, you can close a delicious jam that is suitable for desserts, pancakes, ice cream.
- blueberries – 1 kilogram;
- sugar – 450 grams;
- water – 100 milliliters.
- Boil syrup from sugar and water, place berries in it. Leave for 2-3 hours.
- Boil and leave to cool completely. Berries should be saturated with syrup.
- Boil for a quarter of an hour, arrange in a sterilized container, close tightly.
You can also preserve jam from blueberries; thanks to the pectin contained in the fruit, it freezes well.
- blueberries – 1 kilogram;
- sugar – 550 grams.
- Grind the berries with a blender, add sugar.
- Cook for a quarter of an hour, arrange in prepared sterilized containers.
Such preservation will appeal to both adults and children. The concentration of the drink depends on the number of berries.
- Fill jars with washed blueberries (1/2, 1/3 – optional). Pour in boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain the liquid.
- Pour sugar, 60 grams per liter of water. Boil, pour, seal tightly.
Delicious blanks in the form of mashed potatoes will appeal to children. Puree is prepared according to the jelly recipe, only gelatin is not used.
Cooking feature: boil the berry mass passed through a sieve for 10 minutes, put it into prepared sterilized containers.
Processing and harvesting of blueberries allows the preparation of marmalade.
- Marmalade is prepared according to the principle of puree.
- Next, you need to use pectin. For 500 grams of berry mass, 15 grams will be required. So that pectin does not take lumps, it must be mixed with sugar, stirring, pour into a hot berry mass.
- Boil 10 minutes.
- Arrange in molds, cut after hardening. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before use.
Bottled sugar free blueberries
It is necessary to prepare such blanks with sterilization.
- Fill the bottles with washed, dry fruits.
- Put in a container with water, put a cloth on the bottom. Sterilize for a quarter of an hour.
- Cork, fill the plugs with paraffin.
Pressed and not fresh berries can be processed by preparing a liquor.
- sugar – 1 kilogram;
- blueberries – 650 grams;
- water – 1 liter;
- alcohol – 650 milliliters.
- Berries mash, pour alcohol, leave for 5 weeks.
- After the time has passed, pass the mass through a sieve.
- Boil syrup, combine with berry tincture.
- Pour into bottles, keep refrigerated.
Blueberry tincture on vodka
Making a tincture is not difficult, you can use it to make cocktails.
- blueberries – 550-600 grams;
- vodka – 750 milliliters.
- Mash the berries, put in a jar, pour vodka. Withstand 3-4 weeks.
- Strain the mixture, squeeze out the berry mass. Pour the tincture into bottles, cork. Put in the cold.
Blueberries are one of the most popular foods in the world. They contain many vitamins and antioxidants. Most often, they are used to improve vision, lower blood cholesterol levels, and also to minimize the likelihood of urinary tract infections. It is known that many positive qualities remain even after heat treatment, so today many people make blueberries for the winter at home.
There are several ways in which dried blueberries are prepared for the winter. Each of them allows you to save the greatest amount of important substances, and even the pleasant color of the berries. Consider how this can be achieved and how to properly dry blueberries. In any method, the berries must first be prepared. To do this, take fresh blueberries, sort out the damaged ones, remove the leaves and twigs, put them in a sieve and rinse.
Ways to process berries to get beautiful fruits with a glossy look:
- Pectin. It is dissolved in water in accordance with the instructions on the package. Then the resulting solution is poured over the berries and placed in a sieve to remove excess liquid.
- Lemon. The right amount of juice is extracted from citrus and the fruits are sprinkled on them.
- Blanching. Prepare a large bowl of boiling water and a bowl of ice. Berries are dipped in boiling water for a couple of minutes, and then immediately in ice. After cooling, transfer to a sieve to remove water.
You can dry the berries in a special device – an electric dryer or an oven. In the first, they are laid out in special trays and dehydrated for 6-10 hours, depending on the desired result. After the blueberries have completely cooled, they can be placed in a storage container. Drying in the oven occurs in the following way: it is heated to a temperature of 70 degrees. Put a special paper on a baking sheet and cover with blueberries in one layer. Depending on the size of the berries, the drying process will take from four to twelve hours; as in the previous method, after cooling, you can put it away for storage.
Living in a dry, hot climate has its advantages, as in this case, blueberries can be dried outside. Screens are prepared from wooden frames and gauze and fruits are laid out on them. At night, it is recommended to clean them in a warm and dry place. Such drying takes on average several days.
Before freezing, the berries are prepared as in the previous methods: spoiled ones are removed and washed thoroughly. Before freezing, the fruits are dried so that the water does not turn the berries into lumps from frost. After the blueberries are laid out on a pallet in one layer, and only after freezing they are packed in portions in bags or containers. So that the berries are not saturated with foreign odors from other products in the refrigerator, you can freeze them immediately in a bag. Lovers of sweet berries can be sprinkled with sugar before freezing.
Blueberries mashed with sugar
This type of workpiece is done in haste. At the same time, as a result of the absence of heat treatment, a large number of substances are preserved. You don’t need any culinary skills to cook. Pre-washed and peeled berries are crushed in a blender, mixed with sugar in a ratio of 1:2. Place blueberries mashed with sugar in pre-prepared jars and send to the refrigerator or freezer.
For cooking, you will need the following ingredients: a kilogram of blueberries, 220 g of sugar, 700 ml of water and you can take a lemon. Citrus is cut in half and squeezed out a large amount of juice.
Blueberries are washed, placed in a deep bowl, pour 330 ml of water and knead with a fork. Put the container on the fire and bring to a boil. Boil for 13 minutes and then cool. The resulting composition is passed through a sieve twice.
The remaining water and lemon are mixed with sugar and boiled for 10 minutes. After the beginning of thickening, add blueberries and leave on fire for another 3 minutes. After the time has elapsed, the lemon is removed and the syrup is cooled. The finished delicacy is poured into jars and stored in the refrigerator.
Due to the fact that the skin of blueberries is very soft, it is quite easy to extract juice from it. To do this, it is enough to put the fruits in a bag of cotton fabric and squeeze out the liquid. This method is ideal for lovers of freshly squeezed juice.
Consider how to save blueberries, namely its juice for the winter. To do this, it is recommended to use a berry press, juicer or meat grinder. Harvesting is carried out in different ways , but the benefits remain unchanged. Let’s consider them in more detail:
- After squeezing the juice through the selected apparatus, it is insisted and filtered. Then the resulting fresh is poured into an enamel pan and heated to 80 degrees. The liquid is simmered for 20 minutes, then cooled and poured into sterile jars.
- The second method is used in the processing of residues. They are filled with water in the same proportion and a small amount of sugar is added. Put the container on the fire and boil for 10 minutes, then cool and filter. To add flavor, you can add pre-made juice. Store such a drink only in the refrigerator.
- The latter method is suitable for preparing the bases for jelly and fruit drink. The berries are washed and sprinkled with sugar in the same proportion. Leave in a cool place for 15 hours. This time is enough for abundant juice to stand out. It is drained, and hot sugar syrup is added to the remaining mass in a ratio of 1: 2. Insist 6 hours, and then filter. Juice and syrup are mixed and boiled. At the end, it is poured into jars and rolled up.
Consider how to make real homemade dry blueberry wine. Collect 3 kg of fresh berries, they are washed and completely crushed.
The resulting mixture is laid out in a large glass container and 2 kg of sugar are added. All 3 liters of water are poured, and several layers of gauze are placed on the neck of the bottle and left in a warm place for three days. During this time, primary fermentation should begin. After the time has elapsed, the composition is filtered. The bottle is thoroughly washed and refilled with already strained juice. Additionally, a pre-mixed glass of honey and a liter of water are added. Clog with a water seal and leave for 2 months in a warm place. Then they filter, wash the bottle and insist again, only in a cool place.
After the last two months, the last time is filtered and poured into small bottles, which can be stored for a long time if they are in a practically horizontal position. You can drink after such storage for at least 60 days, during which time the wine will acquire an amazing shade and original taste.
Interested in how to prepare blueberries for the winter, many opt for this option. Today there are several time-tested recipes that we will consider in more detail. Classic jelly. For cooking, the amount of sugar should be slightly less than the berries. The fruits are placed in a saucepan, covered with half of granulated sugar and left for a while.
When the berries give up the juice, put the container on a small fire and gradually bring to a boil. Put the rest of the sugar and cook for a few more minutes. Leave the container to cool. Repeat heating and cooling twice more. After the last time, they immediately pour it into jars prepared in advance and roll it up.
In a multicooker. Fruits and sugar are taken in equal proportions per kilogram. Combine and pour into a multicooker pan. Select the “Extinguishing” mode for 2 hours. At the end of the time, just for a minute, change the mode to the “Steam cooking” program. Ready confiture is poured into jars and rolled up. With gelatin. A similar composition keeps its shape even outside the jar. Berries and sugar are taken in a ratio of 4: 2. For this amount, 1 sachet of jelly is enough. Everything is put in a container and boiled for two minutes over low heat. The resulting liquid is poured into jars, which are twisted.
Without cooking. Ideal for beginner cooks. To prepare one serving, it is enough to take berries and sugar in a 1: 2 ratio. Everything is ground to a homogeneous mass and distributed in sterilized jars so that 1 cm thick sugar can be added. This will protect the dessert from fermentation and allow you to get a dessert from berries in your own juice while retaining a large amount of useful substances. It is recommended to store it in the refrigerator.
blueberry jam recipe
For lovers of the classic way of harvesting berries, cooking jam is ideal. Let’s take a closer look at how to make blueberry jam.
Such a recipe requires a minimum amount of costs. For cooking, they take a certain amount of berries, half the sugar. Blueberries are covered with sugar and left for 5 hours. After the time has elapsed, set to cook for about 35 minutes. Always remember to take off the foam. The finished jam is cooled and poured into containers, rolling up the lids. This is the basic version of blueberry jam for the winter, you can add other ingredients according to your personal taste.
blueberry jam recipe
Considering blueberry blanks not only as a delicacy, but from the side of its healing qualities, it is recommended to pay attention to such winter recipes as jam. For cooking, take 1 kg of berries and sugar, as well as 300 ml of water. Blueberries are washed and placed in a container in which they are thoroughly ground until puree is obtained. Sugar is combined with water and boiled for two minutes. Then pour blueberry puree into it and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes, during which time the jars are prepared. At the end of the time, the resulting composition is immediately poured into jars and rolled up.
blueberry compote recipe
Consider how to cook blueberry compote. For the recipe, you need to calculate that for every liter of water you need 0.5 kg of sugar. The berries are laid out in jars, at this time water is boiled separately and sugar is added. When the sand is completely dissolved, the syrup is poured into jars of blueberries and they begin to be sterilized. On average it takes 15 minutes. Then the banks are twisted and sent to cool. Often blueberry compote for the winter is prepared without sterilization . Thus, it is possible to replenish the body with useful substances in the cold season.
For a three-liter jar, you will need 900 g of berries, 450 g of sugar and 3 liters of water. Blueberries are prepared and the jar is filled with fruits up to half. Then pour boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. This time is enough for the berries to warm up. The water is drained and the sand is covered. Just before spinning, water is poured. Many are interested in how blueberry compote is useful. So, due to minimal contact with hot water, almost all useful substances remain
Knowing all these classic recipes, you can always improvise and add something of your own and thus surprise your loved ones with original, and most importantly, healthy treats in the cold winter.
The unique properties of blueberries are due to the composition of substances in fruits, foliage, roots. A berry treat in the summer is a delicious taste delight. And the benefits are amazing!
Rules for harvesting blueberries for the winter
Every housewife thinks about how to harvest blueberries. So as to preserve the useful properties as much as possible. And blueberries contain a lot of them:
- potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium;
- chlorine, phosphorus;
- vitamins A, C, K;
- B vitamins.
Most often it is prepared like this:
- grind fresh blueberries with sugar;
- rubbed in their own juice;
- prepared with lemon;
- freeze, then grind;
- cook poorly thermally processed Pyatiminutka jam;
- jelly is prepared from the juice of grated berries.
Berries must be prepared for further processing. At this stage:
- sorting blueberries;
- sort out damaged, eaten by forest dwellers or unripe fruits;
- wash thoroughly.
In the future, glass jars, disposable plastic containers are used for storage. Dishes must be clean. First, the glass jar is washed with soda, then sterilized. You can follow this process:
Let’s talk about using the oven. Usually hostesses adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- Jars and lids are placed on a wire rack.
- The oven is heated to 100°C.
- Leave the dishes for thermal exposure.
- Turn off the oven, open the door.
- Allow to cool (so that the jars can be removed and not burned).
What can be done?
Freezing is the easiest way to harvest berries. Sprinkle clean dry blueberries in a thin layer and freeze. Frozen fruits are poured into plastic bags and stored in the freezer.
Grated berry with sugar in a jar
In any culinary recipe, the proportions of the components are observed. This method will require 1.5 kg of sugar per 1 kg of fruit. After washing, the berry must be dried (excess moisture can provoke fermentation).
- Chop the blueberries (with a pusher or with a blender).
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Leave for 1 hour.
- Mix again and leave for another hour.
- Mix again and transfer to prepared jars, tightly cork with a lid.
Often, after adding sugar and stirring, everything is left overnight. In the morning they are laid out in jars. Store in the refrigerator, you can in the freezer. Shelf life is two years.
Pureed in its own juice
This method requires less sugar. In doing so, proceed as follows:
- Crushed berries fill jars three-quarters.
- Pour sugar to the top.
- Leave for 2-4 hours: during this time, juice will be released.
- Close the lid (no need to stir).
When stored in the refrigerator, make sure that the fermentation process does not start. Can be stored in the freezer.
How to wipe frozen fruits?
So, clean berries were just frozen. They perfectly lain for several months, retaining all the taste and other pleasant useful qualities. Now they can be thawed and used. For example, grind with sugar. They do it like this:
- Frozen blueberries are left at room temperature.
- Track the moment of “semi-defrosting”. Such a berry will not give too liquid mass.
- Grind in any way.
- Add sweetness to taste.
- Leave the resulting mass to warm to room temperature.
The berry is ready. You can add honey to it.
How to make Five Minute Jam?
The name refers to the minimum heat treatment time. For 1 kg of blueberries, 800 g of sugar are used. Wash in a colander, then leave for a while to allow “excess water to drain.” Spread out on a towel and let dry.
- Pour the berries into a cooking container and put on a slow fire.
- Add a third of the required sugar.
- The moment of its dissolution is monitored (during this time, blueberries will give juice).
- Pour the rest of the sugar, add fire.
- While stirring, wait for it to boil.
- Reduce the heat, remove the foam, cook for 5 minutes.
Quickly pour into glass jars and seal with lids. Banks are turned over and wrapped (for additional sterilization). After cooling, put in storage.
How to cook with lemon?
If desired, you can add lemon juice to the berries grated with sugar. It’s just squeezed out. The taste of the product will change and the vitamin supply will be even richer. 1 lemon is used per 1 kg of mass. The method is good if the storage method is freezing.
They also make blueberry jam with lemon. Product proportions:
- 1 kg blueberries;
- 1 lemon;
- 1.5 kg of sugar;
- 300 ml of water.
Cooked berries are additionally blanched: sent for 5 minutes in boiling water. A pure lemon uses zest (the peel is rubbed gently on a grater) and juice.
Step by step manufacturing process:
- Dissolve sugar in 300 ml of blueberry broth (after blanching), bring to a boil.
- Pour out the fruits, let it boil.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from fire, let cool.
- Add cooked lemon.
- They put it on fire.
- After boiling, cook for 5-6 minutes.
The finished jam is poured hot into jars. Close with sterilized lids. Turn over, cover with a thick layer of cloth (to cool slowly, about a day). You can store it in a cold place, preferably in the refrigerator.
How to grind and make jelly?
Blueberry juice is used to make jelly. To prepare it, the fruits must be finely chopped. The resulting raw material is filtered through cheesecloth, folded several times.
For 1 kg of berries you will need 600 g of sugar. Jelly is prepared like this:
- Juice and sugar are placed in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and reduce the mixture to one quarter of the volume.
The finished jelly is laid out hot in jars, allowed to cool and stored in a cool, dark and dry place.
How much can be stored?
Like any product, blueberry preparations have their own shelf life. The time will depend on the temperature. If blueberries are stored at room conditions, they should be used within 3-6 months. A fermented or moldy product should never be eaten. Many try to boil such a berry. Not all pathogenic bacteria die in this case.
Storage in the refrigerator is acceptable for 1-1.5 years. It is necessary to periodically review the status of the workpiece.
Freezer storage is the longest. At the same time, being in the chamber can be until the onset of frost. Then the banks can be taken out to the balcony (loggia) until spring. This method allows you to use food even after 2-2.5 years.
Contraindications for use
It must be remembered that any product may be harmful to some. This rarely happens with blueberries. But doctors do not recommend using blueberries:
- with diseases of the pancreas;
- increased acidity of the stomach;
- reduced blood clotting;
- atonic constipation.
Useful homemade blueberries will help boost immunity, survive the winter with the least trouble. A delicious tea with a sweet delicacy in the family circle will cheer up and give a lot of warm memories of the summer.