There is good news for all banana lovers. It turns out that throwing away banana peels is just a waste! It can be successfully used not only in the household, but also for cosmetic purposes. Banana peel is rich in many nutrients and carbohydrates. It has a high content of vitamins B6, B12, magnesium and potassium. It turns out that the sugar content is highest when the banana peel turns black.
Banana peels also contain bioactive compounds such as flavonoids, tannins, flobatanins, alkaloids, glycosides, and terpenoids. These biologically active compounds have antioxidant, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic effects.
Are you interested in unusual ways to use banana waste? They may surprise you!
1. To whiten your teeth, just rub them with the inside of the peel. The procedure takes several minutes.
2. Enzymes contained in bananas ideally nourish the skin. You don’t need to make any mixture, just spread the peel on your face, wait a while and wash your face. The peel contains a large amount of potassium, iron, magnesium and B vitamins, vitamins A and C, therefore, counteracts skin aging.
Grated banana, cucumber and mango peels can be used to make a moisturizing nutritious gruel. It should be applied to dry areas of the skin.
3. To reduce irritation and itching of the skin after mosquito bites, it is enough to rub the skin on the damaged areas.
4. With the help of banana skins, you can get rid of unwanted warts. Just attach the peel to them with the inside and tie with a bandage. This bandage should be changed daily. The same should be done in case of a splinter. The enzymes contained in the peel penetrate the skin and cause the splinter to move towards the mouth of the damaged epidermis.
5. The peel is a great source of zinc, which helps fight acne. Rubbing the face with the pulp of the rind just before going to bed will reduce painful symptoms. The result will be noticeable after a week of use.
6. The peel, applied to a fresh bruise, will contribute to its faster disappearance.
7. When the peel is mixed with a little water, a nourishing hair mask is obtained, which should be kept on the hair for 30 minutes. You can put pieces of peel in a shampoo bottle. Thanks to the resulting product, gray and thin hair will gain shine and volume at the roots, become more elastic.
8. Banana peel is an abundant source of esterified fatty acids, which help treat problems like eczema and psoriasis. The peel applied to the affected areas of the skin will moisturize them and reduce itching.
9. Thanks to fruit wax, you can restore leather products. Dull gloves, shoes, or jackets will become shiny when rubbed with banana peel.
10. As with leather, banana peels are great for polishing wooden furniture. Polish the furniture with a peel, wipe it with a soft cloth and forget about chemicals.
11. Silver cutlery can also be polished with a peel.
12. Shredded peel, buried under bushes, such as roses, at a depth of several centimeters, will scare away aphids. The peel can be harvested in the off-season – dried, and in the season – soaked in water.
13. Since the banana peel is full of minerals (potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, nitrogen and calcium), a fertilizer made from it will stimulate the growth of plants and their flowering. You can add it to the compost, or you can simply bury it in the ground, in places where you plan to plant.
14. The peel attracts insects – both desirable – butterflies, and unwanted – flies. Fruit flies are such a scourge that is difficult to get rid of, and an ignored problem multiplies. Instead of buying a fly repellant, try a homemade way to get rid of them. Put the sliced banana peel in the bag, put it in a conspicuous place, bandaging the hole. Pierce in several places with a fork. The smell of the decaying peel will attract the flies inside the bag, from which they cannot escape.
Yes, indeed, not only flies flock to the peel. Butterfly lovers can take advantage of this method of attracting insects in the garden without using a bag, of course.
15. Banana peel placed in the feeder will become nutritious food for the birds.
16. Rubbing banana peels on houseplant leaves will keep them shiny and clean.
17. Banana peel is rich in potassium, which has a positive effect on plants – strengthens them, so they grow and bloom faster. From the peel it is worth making a restorative conditioner for watering flowers. Put the peel in a container, fill it with water and wait a week. After this period, the air conditioner will be ready for use.
18. Banana peels passed through a meat grinder can be used to purify water from heavy metals.
19. Banana peel can also be eaten. You can find amazing Indian recipes that use the peel. It is used to prepare tender chicken. Try a decoction of the peel, it is not only good for health, but also brings relief on hot days:
Put the peel in boiling water, cook for 10 minutes. Drink the decoction after cooling.
20. Due to the content of ethylene, the peel accelerates the ripening of other fruits and vegetables. If you bought an avocado or mango that is too hard, cover it with a banana peel. After a day, the fruit will be ready for consumption.
21. Scratched CDs and DVDs can be annoying. Try to revive them with banana skins. Wipe the scratched surface with the peel, remove the banana residue from the disc using a soft cloth, wash it with glass cleaner.
Everyone has heard about the benefits of banana pulp . A couple of bananas a day saturates the human body with all the necessary trace elements. But no less useful than the citrus itself is its peel .
Few people know how necessary in everyday life can be the same banana skin, which is usually immediately sent to the trash can. It can be used for the most unexpected purposes: from whitening teeth to destroying pests in the garden.
The following life hacks will greatly facilitate the life of the hostess and help to cope with a particular problem in everyday life.
So, having an ordinary banana peel on hand, you can:
How to use banana peel
1. Keep Chicken Breast Juicy While Frying
Even if you are an excellent cook, frying meat in such a way that it comes out juicy is quite difficult. First of all, it concerns the chicken breast.
Chicken meat itself is rather dry, when frying it becomes even drier. In order for the chicken breast to turn out juicy and soft during frying, use a banana peel. Before you put the meat in the oven or put on the fire, just put a banana peel on top of it.
It will create a barrier that acts like skin and allows the meat to retain its juice.
Thanks to this simple culinary trick, you can significantly improve the quality of the cooked dish.
2. Make a natural and effective fly trap
If you can’t live without fruits, then this item is for you.
Surely, many housewives have repeatedly noticed annoying small flies in their kitchen that attack a fruit bowl. These are the so-called fruit flies that get to the bowl of apples and oranges before you do.
Make a pest trap and forget about this problem once and for all.
For this you will need: a large container of yogurt, a banana peel, a hammer and a small nail.
Use a hammer and nail to make holes in the lid of the container. Then place the banana peel inside the container and close the lid tightly. Leave this design near the fruit in the place where the flies accumulate.
The sweet banana flavor will lure them into the container. Attracted by the smell of the banana, the midges will crawl inside, but they will not be able to get back through the tiny holes.
When you notice that the midges have disappeared or their number has significantly decreased, the trap can be thrown out.
3. Repairing a scratched CD or DVD
If your favorite CD is scratched and therefore won’t play clean, fix it with a banana peel.
Place the disc label side down. Turn the banana peel inside out, then use the inside of the banana peel to rub the scratched surface of the disc in gentle circular motions. Banana peel pulp and wax will fill in existing scratches without harming the plastic finish.
Then wipe off any remaining wax with a soft cloth dampened with glass cleaner. Polish the disc until it is clean. The disc is rehabilitated and ready to play.
Benefits of banana peel
4. Rid your garden of aphids
Have you noticed aphids in your garden that are harming your favorite plants? This problem is solvable. Take 2-3 banana peels, dig a hole 2 cm deep at the base of the aphid-infested plant and bury the peel in it.
Aphids and ants cannot tolerate the rich concentration of potassium in banana peels. Thus, thanks to this little trick, the hated pests will retreat.
5. Quickly remove ink stains from leather
Got your hands dirty with ink leaking from a ballpoint pen? In this case, water and soap will not be able to fix the problem immediately. This is where an ordinary banana peel comes to the rescue.
Rub the inside of the peel on the area that was stained with ink. You will be surprised how quickly, literally before your eyes, the stain will disappear and the skin will become clean.
The fact is that the natural oils from the banana peel “suck” the oils from the ink into themselves, thus, without much difficulty, removing the stubborn pigment from the skin.
6. Instantly relieve itching from an insect bite
Have you been bitten by mosquitoes and suffer from terrible itching? Get rid of it without the use of products containing chemicals.
Take an ordinary banana peel and rub it with the inner side of the itching area of the skin. Literally immediately you will feel relief, itching and discomfort from a mosquito bite will pass very quickly.
The banana peel contains a polysaccharide substance, which, penetrating into our skin cells, relieves swelling and inflammation within a few minutes.
Teeth whitening with banana peel
7. Thoroughly and effectively whiten your teeth
There is no need to spend a fortune on teeth whitening by buying special whitening strips. After all, folk remedies are sometimes no worse than professional ones.
An ordinary banana peel will do the job perfectly. It will make your teeth whiter. Wipe them daily for 2 minutes with the inside of a banana skin. Do this after brushing your teeth thoroughly.
Banana peel contains astringent plaque-breaking salicylic acid and mildly whitening citric acid. The combination of these two acids effectively lightens dark spots on the teeth without damaging the enamel itself. Thanks to such a simple trick, you will become the owner of a snow-white smile.
8. Repair scuffs on leather shoes
If your shoes are generally in good condition, apart from a few scuffs, the situation can be corrected. A banana peel will come to the rescue.
Thanks to the natural oils and waxes found in the banana peel, it can be used to polish leather shoes and give them a shine. The potassium in the banana peel is an essential component for skin care. This microelement, absorbed into the leather product, reduces traces of abrasions and makes the shoes look brand new.
banana peel for flowers
9. Bring home plants back to life
Are your home plants dull, look dull, tired and do not please you with their former beauty? They need to be rehabilitated urgently! Ferns, cacti, and other plants can be restored with a banana peel.
Rub the leaves of the plant with its inner side. It will not only rid the flower of accumulated dust, but also, thanks to the oils contained in the banana peel, will give it a well-groomed and fresh look.
Potassium, which is rich in banana, also has a beneficial effect on the plant and helps it stay healthy and blooming.
10. Painlessly remove a splinter
It is not always easy and quick to remove a splinter. If this cannot be done with the usual method, you can resort to a little trick using the same banana peel.
Attach it to the wound with the inside. For greater effectiveness, secure the banana peel with a band-aid . So it will more tightly come into contact with the problem area.
Leave the patch on for at least 30-40 minutes. The enzymes found in the banana peel will draw the splinter to the surface of the skin, after which you can easily remove it. In addition, these enzymes contribute to the healing of the wound formed after the extraction of a splinter.
banana peel properties
The banana peel contains a whole storehouse of nutrients and trace elements in . Due to its healing properties, it can be used as an effective fertilizer for plants. Such a simple “top dressing” in the form of a banana peel will significantly increase the quality and quantity of the crop in your garden and vegetable garden.
In addition, the minerals and antioxidants that a banana is rich in have a positive effect on the skin of the face, moisturizing it and making it more well-groomed and beautiful. Prepare a banana peel mask and your skin will thank you. If you don’t have enough time for a full-fledged mask, just wipe it with the inside of a banana peel.
In addition, banana peel can be used for the following purposes:
– To remove warts.
– In the treatment of psoriasis and acne.
– In the treatment of burns, bruises and bruises.
– When healing scratches and cuts.
– To moisturize the skin and prevent early wrinkles.
A very useful fertilizer for indoor or garden flowers, for seedlings of vegetables, fruit trees and berry bushes – banana peel. Applying top dressing from these wastes, the flowers on the window will please with abundant flowering, vegetable seedlings will grow strong, because. they receive almost all the necessary elements for full development and growth. Many gardeners are already familiar with such a miracle fertilizer, but for someone it will be useful to read this article. Why is banana peel one of the best bases for making vitamin supplements?
Benefits of banana peel for plants
Banana peel as a fertilizer in gardening is not new, it has been used for a long time. The advantages of home feeding, compared to store-bought counterparts, is that the first product does not contain chemical additives. Banana peel benefits:
- improvement of microflora and improvement of the soil;
- harmless growth stimulation;
- strengthening immunity;
- promotion of pest and disease control;
- saturation with useful microelements, as a result – plants tolerate transplantation, lack of sunlight and heat less painfully.
The composition of the banana peel is almost similar to the pulp of this fruit, but there are some differences. The minerals contained in the skin are:
More than 90% of the weight of a banana peel is liquid and organic nutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, fiber, lipids). The volume of water content in the skins depends on the time of harvest, the degree of ripeness of the fruit, its shelf life. Such a component composition has found practical use for banana peel in industrial production.
Almost every mineral or organic component is a useful substance necessary for the normal development and functioning of the organic system of a person, animal or plant. Their consumption is mandatory, otherwise a general malaise of the body develops. Obtaining nutrients from banana peels must be correct, because. they also contain some harmful toxic elements that accumulate in the skin.
Mechanism of action
Having studied the composition of the peel, it is immediately clear that such waste is ideal for plant nutrition. The mineral complex, which is part of the fruit and peel, is useful for growth, development, flowering and fruiting. The peel of vegetables and fruits very often contains a rich vitamin and mineral composition – this has become a prerequisite for the use of banana skins in gardening. When all these trace elements decompose, they perfectly feed the roots, stimulating active growth and flowering.
The skin contains a large amount of vegetable growth hormone, tk. fruits are plucked unripe and treated with substances to ripen at the time of sale. Top dressing from a banana peel activates the germination of seeds, the rooting of seedlings, the development of young shoots. Such a fertilizer is used to stimulate the growth of vegetable seedlings, to feed greenhouse crops or indoor flowers, especially those that do not have enough sunlight and light. Magnesium promotes photosynthesis, so winter greenhouse and houseplants will like it.
Fresh banana peels contain substances similar in action to papain – used in cooking to soften tough meat, but can destroy the root system. In addition, the concentration of useful components in a fresh product is high, so fresh peel can only be used under the roots, but with a mandatory layer of earth. You can make banana skins biologically inactive, while maintaining the mineral composition, in the following ways:
- Drying in an oven or microwave at low power is not the best way, because most of the harmful decomposition products of organic matter remain in the product.
- Fry in a dry frying pan over low heat.
- Brewing with boiling water is equivalent to the first method.
- Natural drying in the sun or a battery – almost all decay and metabolic products disappear, but due to the length of the process, rotting or fermentation of raw materials is possible.
- Freezing in the freezer – the result is similar to natural drying, but rotting or fermentation of the product is excluded.
- Scalding with boiling water and insisting for 1-2 hours. After that, the infusion is drained, and the sour substance is used, in which growth stimulants remain, but most of the mineral components are lost.
- Drying in the fresh air under direct sunlight – the entire mineral complex, growth stimulants are preserved, and harmful organic matter disappears.
Fertilizer for flowers
Banana skins, which make up about 35% of the total mass of fruits, contain as many nutrients as fruits. According to experienced flower growers, banana peel fertilizer for indoor plants activates their growth and protects against diseases. If you familiarize yourself with all the ways to use the peel in floriculture, then you can save money and significantly improve your “green pets”. Leaves of indoor flowers are wiped with a banana peel, so they are cleaned of dust.
Such top dressing for flowers from a banana peel replaces potassium-phosphorus fertilizers, which has a beneficial effect on the development, growth, budding, and flowering of plants. Those flower growers who are accustomed to using industrial top dressing may speak negatively about the natural analogue, although banana fertilizers are not inferior to them, for example, humate. If peels are used in combination with grape shoots, then you can get the most effective top dressing, which contains most of the periodic table.
Feeding seedlings of solanaceous and composite crops
Compositae and nightshade crops have an internal biofilter, therefore it is recommended to use fertilizer from banana waste for sunflower, eggplant, and tomatoes. The result is especially noticeable when using fertilizer in the northern regions of the country. This fertilizer is recommended only for seedlings. During the period of flowering and fruiting, it is recommended to use top dressing from dried or dried crusts.
What plants can I use banana peel for top dressing
Natural banana peel fertilizer is recommended for the following plants:
Raw banana skins
Roses, ferns, vegetable seedlings, cruciferous – cabbage, begonia, saintpaulia, cyclamen
Bulbs, fruits and cereals (other than suitable)
Fried, dried peel or banana infusion
Tomatoes, eggplants, sunflowers, all indoor, outdoor and garden flowers
How to make fertilizer
Preparation of raw materials takes place in several ways, use:
- fresh skins;
- water infusion;
- dried or dried peel;
- powder from dry peels;
- fried skins;
- complex fertilizers from various natural ingredients.
Fresh crushed skins
The simplest, but no less effective way to feed seedlings or seedlings is chopped fresh skins. For cooking, the peel is cut into small pieces and buried under the root before planting, avoiding direct contact with the roots. After only 7-12 days, there will be no trace of the crusts – they completely decompose, giving themselves to the plant. After such top dressing, even weak plants activate growth.
On the surface of the peels, harmful components remain for a long time, with which the fruit was processed before sale. They must be washed thoroughly before use. It is not recommended to use this method for fruit trees and root crops, because. one wash does not get rid of harmful substances. To make the fertilizer safer, it is better to process the raw materials.
Dried or cured peel
A simple and easy way to prepare potash top dressing is to dry the skins in a natural way: in summer – in the sun, in winter – near the battery. Properly dried peels are completely dry, of a uniform dark color, without black spots and an unpleasant odor. Ready fertilizer is stored in a paper bag or plastic container. They are used as needed – they are buried in a pot when planting an indoor flower, added to cups when picking seedlings.
You can wither banana peels in the sun while hanging outdoors. To do this, banana peels are strung on a string and hung in a sunny, well-ventilated place, like mushrooms. So, the whole complex of vitamins and minerals is preserved, and there is no trace of harmful impurities.
Powdered dry skins
First you need to dry the crusts in the oven, electric dryer or naturally. Grind dry raw materials in a coffee grinder or blender. The resulting powder can be directly sprinkled on the soil in a flower pot, and then poured with water. Repeat the procedure once a month. If mold appears on the surface of the soil after top dressing, then it is better to apply the portion under the soil, without direct contact with air.
This fertilizer is more difficult to prepare, but it’s worth it. A lot of banana peels are added to a bucket of plain earth, mixed well. Then they fill it with Baikal fertilizer – this is a live top dressing, which does not consist of the usual mineral and organic components, but of microorganisms. A month later, peels and Baikal are re-applied, stirred well. After 30-60 days, the crusts will rot, natural compost will be ready.
To prepare an aqueous extract, the peel must be washed, the stalks removed, put into a 3-liter sterile bottle, pour boiled water to the top. All procedures are carried out over a gas oven or burner. Sterility is important because protozoa can reproduce, for example, ciliates shoe. Withstand 5 days, then the infusion is drained and filtered through cheesecloth. The shelf life of the product is 30-45 days, but the sourdough may ferment. Before use, the aqueous extract is diluted with water 1 to 1 and heated to room temperature.
Certain crops may require more or less nutrient, but the usual dose is: 1 tablespoon per quart pot capacity. The rate may decrease depending on the degree of development of the root system and the type of plant:
For indoor plants
For fruit and berry bushes and trees
For greenhouse crops
2-3 tsp per pot, if the plant is young and the root system is weak, then more than 2 tsp. don’t put
100-200 ml per bush
From 50 ml to 100 ml under the root, depending on the type of crop
No more than 2 times a week, watered directly under the root
Not more than 1 time per week
Banana water for flowers is not a universal remedy, each plant is individual. But there are general rules that are recommended to follow:
- All flowers are fertilized after watering, so as not to burn the root system.
- Plants that are watered with drip irrigation can be fed constantly, but it is necessary to dilute the finished solution with water by half.
- When watering indoor flowers with a water extract, it is important to monitor soil moisture, because. at an increased rate, rotting of the roots is possible.
- It is necessary to feed the plants 1 time in 7-14 days, depending on the general condition of the flower.
Recipes for complex fertilizers with banana peel
In addition to banana peels, many other food wastes are used as fertilizer, which nourish and improve disease resistance:
- onion peel;
- potato peelings;
- peels of citrus fruits;
- remnants of brewed tea and coffee.
Top dressing with magnesia and eggshell
To prepare such a fertilizer you will need:
- magnesia – 40 g;
- water – 2 liters;
- dried banana peels – 6-8 pcs.;
- eggshell powder – 4 tsp.
- Grind dried peels into powder.
- Pour all ingredients into water.
- Stir until magnesium dissolves.
- Keep refrigerated. Use as a spray – spray on foliage and soil.
With orange peel
A complex fertilizer that combines the beneficial properties of bananas, glucose (sugar) and orange peel – a natural top dressing for indoor plants. Fill a three-liter jar with 30% orange and banana peels. Pour 30 g of sugar, pour water. Infuse for 20 days, stirring every 5 days. After 3 weeks, the infusion is filtered. Before use, dilute with distilled water in a ratio of 1 to 20. It is recommended to feed the plants no more than 1 time per month.
Against aphids on plants
If a few banana peels are dropped into the soil around the plant in the garden, then there will be much less aphids on the foliage, because. these insects do not tolerate potassium. A water infusion is made from the skins, which repels aphids and nourishes the plant:
- Place peels from three bananas in a 3-liter jar of water.
- Insist 2 days.
- Then strain the infusion and dilute with water 1 to 1.
- Water the plant under the root or spray.
Advantages and disadvantages of banana peel fertilizer
Advantages of using top dressing from crusts:
- Banana skins are a source of nutrients that are essential for healthy plant growth.
- Natural raw materials.
- The crusts decompose quickly.
- Many ways to use and harvest skins.
- Low cost.
Banana peel as top dressing has its drawbacks:
- Bananas are brought from distant countries, plucked unripe. In order for the fruits to ripen, they are treated with chemicals, soaked in a solution of chlorine and ammonium sulfate.
- Top dressing does not completely compensate for the deficiency of nutrients.
- When disposing of banana waste, the advantage turns into a disadvantage: fertilizer from banana skins for fruit crops can be used to a limited extent or prepared in special ways.
- For quick ripening, bananas are treated with ethylene, which negatively affects the human hormonal system.
- The smell of a banana attracts insects – fruit flies, ants, bees.
Maria, 34 years old I spied on such a novelty from a friend, she uses banana skin fertilizer for seedlings in a greenhouse, she likes it. I decided to try it myself, only with houseplants. I made a water infusion and watered under the root. Even my weak ficus perked up. I also want to try banana peel as fertilizer in the country – to feed my tulips, daffodils and annual flowers.
Konstantin, 44 years old I read about the benefits of banana peels on the Internet, it became interesting. I decided to conduct an experiment – to try all the ways that I found. I was not happy with the mulching of the beds with crusts, because. mold has grown on the surface of the soil. I liked the drainage from dry skins, I added them to each hole with black soil. In general, not a bad natural and cheap remedy.