Plants create coziness and a special atmosphere in the house. An example of this is sansevieria, an amazing flower that can fill the air in the house of its owners with oxygen at night. There are various signs and superstitions about this plant. They will help you make a choice: is it worth growing it at home.
The plant was brought to Europe in the 18th century. It grows in Africa, Madagascar, as well as in Asian countries with a subtropical and tropical climate. Its veins are so strong that in one of the African tribes they made a bowstring from them. This property has attracted European researchers. In Europe, at that time, they tried to create very strong, thin and waterproof fabrics, therefore all such plants were very much appreciated and, if possible, were brought from different parts of the world.
The name is given in honor of the prince of San Severo, who supported the development of science and was the initiator of the importation of this evergreen plant to European lands, where it spread very quickly and became overgrown with many legends.
The latter confirms the variety of names for sansevieria, among which you can find the following:
- mother-in-law’s tongue;
- snake plant;
- pike tail;
- the language of the devil;
- African hemp;
- leopard lily, etc.
These names often cause a negative attitude towards the flower.
Among the advantages of this plant, in addition to unpretentiousness, its medicinal properties are distinguished. It can help with:
- pressure stabilization;
- increased immunity;
- recovery, cure for colds;
- getting rid of inflammatory processes (for example, with otitis media or inflammation of the skin);
- wound healing;
- fight against itching;
- treatment of gynecological diseases, parasitosis, intestinal infections.
This plant reduces stress levels. Separately, it is worth noting that different parts of the plant are used in different ways.
- From the crushed leaves of sansevieria, lotions are made, which are used for inflammation and ulcers.
- The peel of the leaves helps to heal wounds and burns.
- The juice is used for burns, wounds, and ear pain.
- The scent of the plant can help relieve headaches. To do this, dry leaves can be placed under the pillow or burned in the room where the patient is.
- During the flowering period, the smell of flowers helps to cope with respiratory infections.
Special attention should be paid to decoctions, they help to cope with cystitis and other infectious diseases of the genitourinary system. They are used in the treatment of scabies, dermatitis, and even in case of infection with worms.
Another very interesting and useful property of sansevieria decoctions is that they can be used to increase a person’s performance.
The substances for which sansevieria is considered dangerous are saponins, in large quantities they can become poisonous, therefore they are used very carefully in treatment, it is strongly recommended not to eat for children and pregnant women. The plant itself is not dangerous, but you can not use it in its pure form inside.
It is also important to take into account the fact that the flower is dangerous for pets who like to eat flowers with beriberi. Sansevieria causes indigestion, vomiting, and dermatitis in cats, and nausea and vomiting in dogs.
Signs of poisoning with this plant in humans are :
- pain and burning in the throat;
- profuse salivation;
It is desirable that the flower stand in a place inaccessible to children. But an adult should also take precautions when handling a flower:
- all manipulations with the flower should be done with gloves;
- make sure that the juice of sansevieria does not get into the eyes;
- all cut leaves and roots must be immediately thrown out or destroyed;
- if a child or animal still tried to taste this plant, then the victim should be vomited, given an activated charcoal tablet, and be sure to call a doctor.
The plant is popularly credited with many amazing magical properties. Signs and superstitions about sansevieria say that this flower is able to bring peace even to that house where there has long been no peace from quarrels, disputes and all sorts of troubles. Since its stems have sharp ends, everything bad that happens in the house allegedly pricks and clings to them. Sometimes a flower is even compared to a cobweb: all the negativity seems to stick to it, which is then converted into positive energy.
After the appearance of this plant in the house, the life of its inhabitants quickly changes for the better, all minor domestic problems caused by quarrels and misunderstandings, as well as brought from outside and accumulated negative emotions, go away.
It is also advised to start this plant for those who are pursued in life by all sorts of troubles and failures. Spouses need to put it in their bedroom so that it can absorb all the negativity that accumulates in their lives and leads to quarrels and insults. In this way, the flower will help to preserve and protect their love.
Among the people, sansevieria is also called mother-in-law’s tongue, which is why she is mistakenly credited with complicity in the creation of gossip and slander, but this is not so.
Since the plant blooms very rarely, special attention is paid to this in signs. This happens when some important and crucial moment is brewing in the life of the family. If sansevieria bloomed in a difficult period for people, then this is hardly good.
Its flowering in winter is considered an unkind sign, then quarrels may become more frequent in the family, misunderstanding of each other will increase. It can also be a harbinger of minor troubles.
You need to keep the plant at home in the right places. The plant has several amazing magical properties. One of them is the ability to absorb negative energy, so it is often advised to put it near a computer or laptop.
This plant is also credited with the ability to help achieve goals. Signs say that it can give inspiration, give confidence and strength, and also push forward. Its action extends to a career, and to study, and to other areas of life in which there is a need for knowledge, skills and abilities. They put the plant in the workplace, in the office.
Another property is to help the owner in the fight against laziness and give strength to start a new business. Sansevieria also helps in work and learning new skills. It is recommended to arrange a flower for such purposes in the bedroom.
One of the most important properties attributed to this flower is the ability to have a beneficial effect on human health, to provide energy assistance during recovery.
Sansevieria is an amazing plant. Although it can pose a certain danger to small children and animals, but subject to certain precautions, it can be kept at home, enjoying all the positive manifestations of the nature of this flower.
The pike tail is an unpretentious houseplant that can withstand many trials. It will not die without water if you decide to spend your entire vacation away from home, and will not disappear even if you regularly forget to feed and transplant it. But for the sake of the appearance of flowers, albeit inconspicuous, but very fragrant, you can try to provide ideal conditions for keeping a flower. Let’s find out how to properly care for a pike tail so that it blooms.
Pike tail among flower growers is also known as:
It is an evergreen perennial plant that does not form stems and is a succulent. In the wild, it is found in arid regions of Africa, South America, India and Madagascar. The maximum height of the sansevera depends on its variety and can reach 0.3-1.2 m. A flower can be either a terrestrial representative of the flora or an epiphyte – a specimen that grows on another plant, but does not feed on its juice.
The long leaves of the pike tail are shaped like flames. They are collected in large rosettes and painted in dark green. Often on the leaves you can see a pattern in the form of light wavy stripes. Some varieties are distinguished by the presence of a golden or silver border. The flower grows slowly: every year up to 3 new leaves appear in the rosette. However, undersized types of sansevier develop more actively and can form 2-3 times more leaves in a year.
At home, the pike tail rarely blooms. Usually flowering occurs in spring or summer. At this time, a long peduncle is formed from the center of the rosette, on which small star-shaped flowers bloom, which fade after 2 weeks. In the wild, sansevera blooms all year round. Inflorescences have a strong aroma reminiscent of cloves and vanilla.
Species and varieties
At home, three types of pike tail are most often grown. Here is a brief description with a photo:
- Sansevieria three-lane . This is the most common type of pike tail. The most commonly grown varieties are: Moonshine, Hanni Gold, Hanni, Larenti. A distinctive feature of these varieties: the presence of multi-colored stripes and colored borders on the leaves.
- Sansevier is big . This is an evergreen epiphyte that forms a rosette, which includes up to 4 lanceolate leaves. Their length reaches 60 cm, and their width is 15 cm. The leaf color is dark green. On its surface traces a pattern of stripes and spots of malachite hue. The edge of the leaves is bordered in red. In spring, flower stalks up to 0.8 m long appear. The flowers are white.
- Sansevera cylindrical . This variety of pike tail is distinguished by long and narrow leaves resembling a cylinder shape. The leaf surface is dark green. It also shows stripes and strokes of silver and yellow hues. The plant blooms in spring. On cream flowers, strokes of a red tint are barely traced.
Advice! The cylindrical pike tail has very sharp leaf ends. You can even cut yourself on them. Therefore, it is advisable to hang protective caps on them: they will protect you from accidental cuts.
Pike tail flower is harmful or beneficial
The benefit is that it is a medicinal plant. With it, you can cure a cold, an inflamed ear, or quickly heal a wound. But it can cause harm if you use the juice inside: due to the content of poison in it, severe poisoning can develop. Therefore, it is undesirable to use sansevier for treatment without consulting a doctor.
Signs and superstitions associated with the pike tail flower
Folk signs that are composed regarding the content of the pike tail of the house are ambiguous. It is believed that sansevera scares away unmarried girls from men. And if the flower grows in an already established family, then disagreements between the spouses begin at home, which can end in divorce.
But there are other signs, according to which the pike tail must be put at home if they often swear in it: the flower, as it were, attracts all the negativity to itself. If you put a pot of sansevier on your desktop in the office, then you can avoid evil tongues and gossip behind your back.
Is it possible to keep a pike tail flower at home
Pike tail is a common plant. And if you do not believe in signs, then you have nothing to fear. You can keep the flower at home and enjoy its beauty. If you are a superstitious person, it is better to refuse to keep sansevier at home: it will not give you rest and will definitely cause negative emotions.
Choice of location and conditions of detention
Now let’s figure out under what conditions you need to keep a pike tail flower in order to preserve its decorative leaf color and cause spring flowering.
Lighting and location
Pike tail can grow both in direct sunlight on the south window, and in the darkest corner of the house. But the best option is intense, but diffused lighting. In summer, you can put a flower on an open balcony if it faces east, north or west. When keeping sansevera on the south side, it is necessary to create artificial shading.
Important! If the pike tail has started a peduncle, place the flower in partial shade. This will speed up the blooming of the buds and extend the flowering period.
The plant withstands high temperatures even in the absence of watering: after all, it is a succulent. Therefore, it is better to ensure that it does not fall too low. So, in summer it should not be lower than +15 ° C, and in winter – less than +10 ° C.
Air and humidity
Sansevera in the wild grows in arid places where it is very hot and rains may not come for months. Therefore, dry air will not harm the flower. But it is better to create moderate humidity in the apartment (50-60%), and you should not humidify the air up to 80-90%, as this will lead to rotting of the plant roots.
The pike tail responds well to spraying and dusting its leaves. But it is better not to put it in a draft: its leaves can get sick.
soil and pot
For planting prepare fertile soil from equal parts:
- leaf land;
- sod land;
- river sand.
Sansevera loves to grow in tight quarters, so she doesn’t need a large pot. The main requirements for the container are sufficient wall height and the presence of drainage holes. The roots should fit well, there should be a small space (1-2 cm) between the wall of the pot and the root system. The material is unimportant. It can be both ceramics and clay, plastic.
It is often impossible to water the pike tail: the flower will get sick, especially if the air temperature is low in the house. It is enough to slightly moisten the soil every time it dries out. In its natural environment, the plant could not see rain for months, but this did not prevent him from feeling good. In summer, the frequency of watering can be 4-5 times a month, and in winter – 1 time in 10-14 days.
For watering, you need to use slightly warm settled water. In hot weather, spray the leaves once a week. If dust has accumulated on them, it must be removed with a damp cloth.
Sansevieria should be fed once a month with fertilizers designed for succulents or cacti. But you need to use only half of the recommended dosage: the pike tail tolerates the lack of elements more easily than their excess. Top dressing should be combined with watering.
In order for air to enter the roots of the plant, the soil must be periodically loosened.
Pinching, pinching, pruning
Usually pike tail does not need pruning. But it can grow to such a size that further transplantation is impossible: there is nowhere to put a large container with a huge sansevier. Then they resort to pruning old leaves. They are cut with a sharp knife right at the very base. This procedure should be done in the spring after the flower leaves its dormant state. You need to remove all the sheets that strive to break under their own weight.
The pike tail is transplanted as the leaf rosette grows. If it becomes too crowded, then it’s time to transfer it to a more spacious pot. The first two years, the sansevier is transplanted every spring. Then transplantation is carried out every 2 years.
The pike tail is propagated at home only by vegetative methods. The easiest way to propagate sansevera is to separate the daughter outlets from the mother bush during transplantation. The baby is broken off by hand and planted in a new pot, and then cared for as an adult plant.
Another method of propagation is by rooting leaf cuttings. To do this, you can use the leaves that were removed during pruning. The order of reproduction of the pike tail leaf:
- Cut the leaves into pieces 5-10 cm long.
- Put them in the bottom of a glass of water.
- Change the water daily.
- After 2-3 weeks, when the roots appear, plant the plant in a pot.
You can also root sheets in a bowl with a wet substrate.
Advice! after planting leafy cuttings in a permanent pot, protect the flower from bright light. This will help the seedlings take root faster.
Diseases and pests
Pike tail is perhaps the most disease-resistant indoor plant. The only thing that can hit him is root rot. This happens with the systematic transfusion of the soil and the stagnation of moisture in the pot: succulents cannot be poured. To cure root rot, transplant the flower into a new pot with new soil. Do not forget to pre-cut the rotten roots and treat them with wood ash.
Among the pests of sansevera there are scale insects and mealybugs. It is best to fight them with the help of insecticides (Karbofos, Aktellik, Inta-vir).
Other problems you may encounter, their causes and solutions:
- Old leaves have turned light green with a yellow tinge . Most likely, the plant has not been fed for a long time. Therefore, minerals are washed out of old leaves to form new ones. Restore feeding regimen.
- The leaves have become soft, have ceased to hold their shape, their surface is wrinkled . Most likely, they were burned by the sun. It is no longer possible to restore the previous appearance of the leaves.
- New leaves differ in color from old ones: they are lighter, there is almost no pattern. This is what happens in low light. Put the flower in a place that is better lit.
Pike tail is a beautiful indoor plant that is suitable for decorating the interior of an apartment or office space. It is undemanding in care, and you can remember about it no more than 2-3 times a month. This flower is perfect for you if you do not like to strictly follow the rules for the care of capricious plants like an orchid.
Signs and superstitions about the pike tail have been known since ancient times. An unusual African plant with the beautiful name sansevieria, or pike tail, and powerful energy has unfairly earned a negative reputation among beginner flower growers. However, not all plant owners know that, subject to certain rules, regardless of existing signs, sansevieria can become a real family talisman.
What does the flower symbolize
Pike tail is a very resistant, hardy and unpretentious plant. Due to the special properties of sans, in many countries it is considered a symbol of longevity, health, intelligence, prosperity, self-sufficiency. In China, Sansa is revered, as it is believed that 8 gods bestow 8 qualities on the owner of the flower.
In addition to the well-known folk name, sansevieria has several popular names in other countries:
- Indian sword;
- Snake skin;
- diabolical language;
- leopard lily;
- African hemp.
Each nickname characterizes the special properties or features of the appearance of the plant.
Is it possible, according to signs, to keep a pike tail at home
There are a lot of positive and negative signs and superstitions about a beautiful indoor flower. Most folk signs contradict each other, and the negative impact of the sansevier is greatly exaggerated. Perhaps it is for this reason that flora lovers do not favor him.
The imposed reputation of the pike tail as a flower with heavy energy and a plant-husband is not currently supported by facts. To grow a pike tail in the house or not – everyone decides for himself. Experienced florists, when asked whether it is possible to keep a pike tail at home, definitely give a positive answer, however, when growing sansevieria in a house, it is advisable to follow certain rules.
Who and why should not keep a pike tail at home
A bad reputation is mainly associated with various ancient signs and superstitions. Who and why is it undesirable to keep a pike tail at home:
- a pike tail, according to signs and superstitions, is characterized as a husband, so it is not advisable to grow a flower in a house where an unmarried girl or bride lives;
- leopard lily cannot be grown in the bridal home.
The opinion that it is dangerous to keep the mother-in-law’s tongue in the house is associated not only with superstitions and all kinds of signs, but also with biological features:
- phytoncides secreted by the pike tail plant can cause an allergic reaction;
- leopard lily juice, if it comes into contact with the skin in its pure form, can cause irritation of the skin.
The pike tail must be kept away from animals. Sansa contains plant glycosides – saponins. These substances, in case of accidental use of any part of the flower, can lead to intoxication of the body.
The magical properties of the plant
All plants have energy potential and affect certain areas of human life. Pike tail is no exception. A flower with powerful energy has many magical properties.
The magical properties of the pike tail plant:
- performs the function of a kind of filter for negativity, neutralizing the negative energy of the room, deceitful, envious people and guests with unclean thoughts;
- has the ability to increase fortitude and strengthen the willpower of the owner, because it was not for nothing that the sansevieria was called the Indian sword;
- helps to overcome laziness, gives strength in achieving goals, energy and confidence;
- activates thought processes, imagination, helps in work and study;
- leopard lily, like a lighter, warms up the fading feelings of lovers, restoring the aura of love, kindness and mutual understanding;
- favorably affects health, relieves weakness, fatigue, nervous strain;
- relieves headache attacks, helps to deal with changes in blood pressure in weather-sensitive people;
- sansa with long leaves attracts good luck and material wealth to the house;
- Sansa with rosettes-bowls will help restore harmony in love relationships.
Signs and superstitions about the pike tail flower
A lot of signs and superstitions are associated with a pike tail indoor plant. The name alone evokes negative associations among many flora lovers.
Positive signs and superstitions about the pike tail flower:
- bloomed in the summer (at any time of the year, except for winter) – to positive changes in life, to good news, to the birth of a child;
- if the leaves of the pike tail are the same size and thick, there is a good aura in the house;
- the inherited sansevieria will save the spouses from quarrels, envious people, and there will always be prosperity in the house.
Despite the ancient superstition about the negative effect of leopard lily on unmarried women, many girls are happy to grow it in the house. They even guess on it. If you guess the name of your lover on a sansevieria leaf, and in 30 days it remains intact and does not fall off, then the man will soon take the initiative.
Negative signs and superstitions about the pike tail flower:
- a pike tail in the house of an unmarried girl – to failures in his personal life;
- mother-in-law’s tongue, given to newlyweds from a single woman, a widow – to betrayal, quarrels, problems in everyday life;
- the upper part of the sansa sheet dries up – there is an envious person in the close circle of the family;
- the leaves of the leopard lily turned yellow – to parting with a loved one;
- bloomed in winter – to a major quarrel and strife in the family or to trouble at work.
A pike tail flower with buds is a rather rare occurrence, which can often only be seen in the photo, therefore, various signs and superstitions are associated with the flowering of the plant.
The pike tail is a kind of indicator of a homely atmosphere. If the leopard lily dies, it means that one of the family members is in a severe depression, or the intensity of passions in the house has reached its peak and the natural filter simply cannot process all the negativity.
Where is the best place to plant
According to the teachings of Feng Shui, the pike tail is best placed in large rooms, especially in places with high traffic.
Pike tail can often be found in offices, halls of educational and medical institutions. The ideal places for sans in the house are the hallway, kitchen or living room.
Best places to stay:
- a pike tail at the workplace next to the computer will absorb most of the harmful radiation, neutralize the negative influence of envious, scandalous colleagues, but an energetically strong flower should not be placed closer than 1 m from the workplace;
- Sansa placed in the kitchen will protect residents from harmful electromagnetic waves emitted by household appliances (TV, computer, microwave ovens, refrigerator, electric stoves and other appliances);
- a pike tail in the hallway and living room will act as a trap for negativity, since a person with evil thoughts will not be able to stay in such a room for a long time;
- contrary to signs and superstitions, sansevieria can be placed in the spouses’ room, but away from the head of the bed, for example, in the far corner;
- due to the peculiar, powerful energy, sans is not recommended to be placed in children’s rooms at night, however, some owners claim that this green assistant calms hyperactive and naughty children;
- sansevieria in the classroom helps to quickly assimilate information, fills the room with an atmosphere of creativity;
- another unusual option for the location of the pike tail in the house is the bathroom and toilet, sansa will not suffer, and the black energy of the room will leave the house along with sewage.
According to signs and superstitions, it is recommended to place a leopard lily in rooms whose windows overlook a courtyard or a busy street. Thus, the green assistant protects the inhabitants of the tenant from gossip and gossip addressed to them.
It is not recommended to put the mother-in-law’s tongue in the gap between two doors, and also to put a leopard lily pot on the same line between the door and the window.
Also, it is recommended to plant a pike tail in wide pots of light shades (light gray, blue shades). Mother-in-law’s tongue, planted in a pot of bright scarlet and burgundy tones, can inflame the emotional situation in the house.
How to avoid the consequences predicted in signs
In order to avoid the consequences predicted in the signs, the owner of the pike tail must adhere to the following rules:
- try to place sansevieria in the places of the greatest concentration of strangers in the house (living room, kitchen, hallway);
- do not put the mother-in-law’s tongue at the head of the bed of spouses and small children;
- do not accept a pike tail as a gift from single women, widows and relatives from the husband’s side (especially women);
- do not accept mother-in-law’s tongue as a gift for family dates: anniversaries, birthdays.
Sansevieria should receive the necessary care and, most importantly, the owner likes it. The pike tail subtly feels the energy of kindness, care and outgoing hostility from the owner.
Signs and superstitions about the pike tail are contradictory. To believe them or not is up to the owner of the sansevieria. You need to understand that the positive or negative influence of sansa largely depends on the mood of the owner. A green warrior will not only destroy any internal or external negativity, but will also help overcome bad habits, negative emotions and reduce the intensity of passions within a family or team.