An electric heater is an ideal option if functionality and comfort are preferred to traditions. The choice depends on the volume and design of the sauna. 1 kW of power is required for 1 m3. In the case of log walls, electric sauna stoves are selected taking into account a multiplying factor of 1.5. If the room has windows, concrete or brick walls with high thermal conductivity, the power value increases. All furnaces powered by electricity are recommended to be used with a margin of this parameter, the heating intensity is adjustable. For normal heating of a log building, 1.4–1.8 kW per 1 m3, a sauna stove with panel walls should have 0.6–0.8 kW / m3.
To ensure comfort, electric ovens are equipped with appliances:
- Timer – is used to turn on the heating unit.
- The thermostat is activated when the temperature drops below 60 °C. With the help of it, after heating the bath, the power of the electric furnace is reduced by 2 times by complete or partial shutdown of a group of heating elements.
- To turn on / off, set and maintain the temperature, electric remote control mini-ovens have special remote controls that increase the comfort of operation.
Heaters are divided into: steel or stainless alloy heating elements (tubular) and tape. There are also combined devices that combine one and the second type. The design of the heating elements significantly affects the quality characteristics of electric sauna stoves.
The electric furnace is completed with natural stones which are capable to maintain high temperature of heating and its considerable differences. They must have low thermal conductivity, do not emit odor, do not break under the influence of heat. Laying is carried out in a special tank without contact with heating elements, with gaps for free passage of air. The size of the stones is from 5 to 9 cm.
Its appearance depends on the material used to make the stove – those made of stainless steel do not have a finish, but their cost is lower than that of models that are lined with natural stone. Linings made of soapstone, serpentine or soapstone magnesite look very original. They accumulate thermal energy, reduce convection in the steam room, and create a favorable thermal background.
1. Electric furnaces for saunas and baths Harviya are produced in Finland with a wall mount. Stones are also supplied with the equipment. The use of non-original stones will void the warranty. The main criterion that ensures the quality and safety of Harvia electric heaters is the presence of a protective screen. The price of models varies from 9,000 to 35,000 rubles.
2. Helo produces heaters exclusively for floor installation, which increases their safety. She was the first to produce electric ovens with a steam generator in the bath to increase the concentration of steam in the air and clean it. The automatic control includes the function of adjusting the water supply. The cost is from 15,000 to 300,000 rubles.
3. The characteristic features of the Finnish electric ovens of the Narvi model range include the use of a heating element with an outer diameter of 8.5 mm, it increases the heating rate, increases the operating period, and reduces the possibility of overheating. The price of Narvi stoves is on average 50,000–60,000 rubles.
4. Ermak electric heaters are cheaper than Finnish analogues due to the use of band and flat type heaters (PENs) of our own production, while the efficiency of Russian-made electric heaters is not inferior to analogues of leading Finnish brands. The cost is 11,000–20,000.
5. The Polytech company produces electric furnaces, the reliability of which is achieved due to the evaporator and inertia-free band and flat heater of its own manufacture. Prices for stoves for an electric bath of this manufacturer are on average from 11,000 to 40,000.
Do-it-yourself installation of electric heaters
For the device of the stove, the heating element that heats the water is placed inside the case, which is made of a steel pipe or a metal welded box. A sensor that serves to turn off the magnetic starter when the heating element is heated to a certain temperature is installed in the steam room. The only obstacle when using a 220 V electric stove for a do-it-yourself bath is the power limit. To ensure safety, a protective earth connection is required.
Overview of reviews on electric sauna heaters
“I bought Harvia Kivi Pi90, the steam generator provided in the design allows you to breathe without straining. Remote control ensures comfortable operation, the oven is very convenient.”
Andrey Smirnov, Yekaterinburg.
“I installed an electric heater brand Polytech, Kristima Classik. This is an electric stove, on which you can pour water in the bath, without the risk of spoiling a reliable tape heater. Comfortable and safe to use – I am immensely satisfied with my purchase.
Elena Belova, Novosibirsk.
“I have a Helo Ringo, despite the low cost of 19,200 rubles, it is not inferior in quality to expensive models, I control and regulate modes without problems. Rapid heating.
Sergey Alekseev, Chelyabinsk.
Advantages over wood and gas stoves for a bath
When installing a wood-burning stove, a chimney is installed to remove smoke, which increases the fire hazard. The electric heater does not have it, convenient operation, with compact overall dimensions, its operation ensures rapid heating of the steam room. The main difference between a wood stove and an electric stove is the need for a significantly large supply of fuel. The disadvantage of gas heating over electric heating is the presence of a gas supply, which is not always possible, in addition, the installation of such a furnace is carried out by strictly certified specialists.
An electric stove for a bath and sauna, on which you can pour water and with a steam generator, is a device that heats the air in the room to the optimum temperature and humidity. It is not only reliable in operation, but also absolutely safe, due to the fact that it does not emit carbon monoxide. It can be installed in a private house or in an apartment on the third floor, as there are models with small dimensions, power and weight.
Device and types
The electric oven has a simple design, consisting of a metal body, electric heaters and thermal insulation. The solid body is most often made of stainless steel. Inside it, a grate is installed over the electric heaters, which is completely filled with stones. The speed of warming up a bath or sauna largely depends on the size and weight of these stones: the larger and heavier they are, the faster the room will warm up.
Scheme of the device of the electric furnace
By design, the furnaces are open and closed. The devices of the first type are in the greatest demand, since they not only warm up the bath or sauna well, but also create good moist steam. For the body of such a furnace, nichrome wire is used, fixed in a ceramic heating stand. Closed type devices consist of a heat shield, heaters and a conductive element.
In addition to the division by design, furnaces are divided by the type of heater. They can be installed tubular (heater) or tape heating element. The heating element is most often used, since its cost is lower than that of a heater of the second type. Stones are placed on top of the tubular elements so that the room quickly heats up to the desired temperature.
The tape heating element is a metal tape. Compared to a heating element, it consumes less electricity and has a larger heat exchange area. But furnaces equipped with this heater are more expensive.
There are models that have stone cladding. Such stoves protect against excessive heat radiation, and make the heat and atmosphere in the bath or sauna softer.
Pros and cons of stoves
Electric ovens have a number of advantages. In size, they are much smaller than brick structures, and they also warm up a bath or sauna faster. An electric furnace does not require solid or liquid fuel, that is, you do not have to spend time buying it, storing it and throwing it into the furnace, as well as organizing a place for storage. You can control it with a remote control.
The original design of a small stove
Positive qualities of electric ovens:
- Heat up the room quickly
- For a long time they keep warm in the bath or sauna;
- They have compact dimensions (low-power models have dimensions of 50x50x50 cm);
- Quick and easy installation;
- It does not require the arrangement of a chimney to remove carbon monoxide;
- Simple maintenance and operation;
- Do not emit carbon monoxide.
When installing an electric furnace, it is imperative to ensure the protection of the housing
All control of the device is reduced to setting the required heating temperature on the controller. A fuse is built into the oven to protect against accidental overheating. A large number of models of different sizes, designs and power allow you to choose the device for any room and needs. Also, due to the fact that solid fuel, such as firewood, is not used, there is no ash and dust, which greatly simplifies the process of cleaning a bath or sauna.
Since the device automatically controls the temperature, it helps to significantly save electricity costs. When the set temperature is reached, the oven switches to economy mode. If the temperature has reached the lower mark, then it starts to work back at full capacity.
The disadvantages of electric heaters include their radiation of a strong electromagnetic background. Therefore, when entering a sauna or bath, it is better to turn it off for a while. Using an electric oven for a long time is not economical. The thermal power of an electrical device is lower compared to solid fuel and gas heaters.
On which you can pour water
Heaters with a large load of stones (from 120 kg) are able to retain heat for a long time and have a pleasant appearance, you can also safely pour water on them. The body of such a stove is made in the form of a grid, so that the heat is evenly distributed throughout the room. The density and temperature of the steam directly depend on the amount of water poured onto the stones (manually).
Electric furnace with a large load of stones
With steam generator and water tank
Steam generators can be used as an additional option for electric heaters. They can be purchased separately or you can buy an electric oven with a built-in steam generator. Inside their case is a water tank. Depending on the selected settings, the steam generator can fill the room with moist or light steam. Its temperature can be changed from +30 to +95°C.
The advantage of such furnaces is relatively simple – it is minimal labor costs, since it is not necessary to water the stones. Instead of water, you can use herbal infusions. Built-in water tanks, depending on their volume, can provide 4-6 hours of continuous steam production.
When choosing a heater model, you should pay attention to the presence of a remote control for it. In some versions, it is built into the case or comes separately in the kit. There are heaters for which you need to buy a remote control separately. Be sure to find out how long the cable for the remote is, because if it is short, then finding a convenient place for it will be more difficult. You should also find out where the stove is installed – on the floor or mounted on the wall
How to choose a stove depending on the volume of the room
When choosing a heater on the manufacturer’s website, it is recommended to look at the technical characteristics of the device. So, for example, there are models of furnaces with a capacity of 9 kW, which are designed for heating 8-14 m 3.
Electric heater in a small room
To calculate the power of the heater, you need to calculate the volume of the room. Furnaces equipped with heating elements, one kW heat 1 m 3, and tape – 1.5 m 3. In addition, 1 m 3 is added to the calculated volume for every 1 m 2 of a non-thermally insulated surface, for example, if the door is made of glass, then 1.5 m 3 is added. You should not take a furnace, the maximum power of which will be equal to the calculated one, since working at increased loads will quickly render it unusable.
A Russian person has a special, respectful attitude to the bath. And the sauna stove is the heart of the sauna, its motor and heat generator. There are several options for such devices. They differ not only in the material of manufacture, but also in the type of fuel or energy used. Electric stoves for a bath are one of the varieties of such units, along with wood and gas stoves.
The main advantages of electric stoves for a bath are reliability in operation and a high level of safety. They can be placed in any room, the smallest. An electric sauna stove does not emit a gas dangerous to human life – carbon monoxide into the surrounding air, and the heat transfer efficiency is comparable to a stone or iron wood-burning stove.
The main structural parts of the electric furnace for a bath are:
- Body made of two layers of metal.
- Heating elements or tubular electric heaters.
- Elements of thermal insulation (bath stones).
Such units are installed both on a horizontal surface and have the ability to be attached to a wall, it all depends on the specific model. There are electric furnaces with two ways of fastening at the same time. Usually, such stoves have a control unit. It can be either built-in or portable (in the form of a remote control).
Stones for thermal insulation should be large enough. The outer body is made of steel elements with a cross section of up to 4 mm, and a small gap is left between the heater and the body for ventilation and cooling of the metal.
From above, the stove is usually shielded with iron sheets to ensure the fire safety of the bath or sauna room. The heaters can heat up to a temperature of about 800 degrees. Replacement options can be belt plates, which give a lower temperature, but increase the life of the electric furnace.
Basic operating principles
After applying voltage to the heating element, it begins to gradually heat up. This heat is transferred to heat carriers in the form of special stones. They accumulate heat, after which they give it either to the metal case (for closed-type furnaces), or directly to the steam room (open-type furnaces).
For a classic Russian bath, the second option is more suitable. There are intermediate models equipped with a cover. Such electric sauna stoves can be opened at any time, increasing the convection of heated air from the heater.
Pros and cons
The positive aspects of electric sauna stoves are:
- The combination of rapid heating of the steam room and the ability to maintain the required temperature for a long time.
- Small sizes.
- The possibility of self-installation of such stoves. Unlike gas stoves for a bath, permission from the gas service for installation is not required.
- There is no need to store fuel, placing it in the bathhouse, the stoves operate from a conventional electrical network of 220 or 380 volts.
- An electric oven for a Russian bath does not require a smoke exhaust channel, which simplifies installation.
- It does not require cleaning from soot, periodic maintenance.
- Easy adjustment of the required oven temperature.
- Thanks to automation, unwanted overheating is eliminated.
- Such a furnace does not emit carbon dioxide, it is safe for human life.
- The bath electric stove has good thermal protection, minimizing the possibility of ignition of the wooden elements of the steam room.
However, it is worth highlighting the disadvantages of such electrical units:
- The high cost of its maintenance, electric energy is a rather expensive type of fuel, and similar furnaces are very energy-intensive installations.
- Often for powerful electric furnaces there is not enough electrical wiring resource, which is designed for a lower consumed load.
- The heat dissipation of electric stoves is lower than that of gas or wood heating sauna stoves.
back to content ↑
What are electric ovens?
Weight of loaded stones
Depending on the purpose of electric bath stoves and the weight of the stones that are laid in them, all electric stoves can be divided into 3 groups:
- Models with heaters for 20 – 40 kg.
- Models with heaters for 60 – 120 kg.
- Models for commercial use.
Stoves with a stone volume of up to 40 kg are perfect for small private steam rooms for 4 to 5 people. They are quite cheap, practical and easy to install. Their advantage is the quick heating time of the steam room, it will be no more than half an hour. Such an electric stove for a bath can and should be watered often, and in which small portions of water will have to be added.
Electric furnaces with a mass of loaded stones in the range from 60 to 120 kg are already more serious installations that are suitable for both private large saunas and small commercial baths.
Prices for electric furnaces in a bath of this type are 1.5 – 2 times higher than for furnaces with a smaller volume of stone fraction filling.
Full warm-up of such a unit occurs after 1.5 – 2 hours, such a furnace gives off heat for a long time and better maintains a stable temperature regime. Adding water can be carried out without restrictions on the amount and time of topping up.
Commercial models hold 200 – 280 kg of stones and are used in public steam rooms. They are able to work both in sauna and Russian classical bath modes. Such stoves are designed for steam room volumes of several tens of cubic meters. Their price can be 40,000 rubles or more.
Body type of a bath electric furnace
There are two types of bodies of bath electric furnaces – closed and open type.
- The electric stove for an open-type Russian bath is a classic sauna stove, the stones in it are on the surface. The main disadvantage of such devices is that they cool down over time.
- Closed models of electric furnaces are nicknamed “thermos” because of their design. They are made in the form of a round flask with a lid that opens at the top. The stones themselves are located inside and are heated by heating elements built into the walls of the case. A big plus of such devices is that the lid prevents the stones from cooling, and the steam is finely dispersed. Thanks to these properties, this is an excellent option for a classic Russian steam room.
back to content ↑
Criterias of choice
The modern market offers many options for such units. The question of how to choose an electric stove for a bath is not so simple. The main selection criteria should be taken into account, these include:
- Preliminary calculation of the volume of the steam room.
- Furnace controls.
- Type of heating circuit.
- Design issues.
- Availability of a certificate of conformity of products to Russian standards.
The control panel for the sauna stove can be either remote (remote), installed in another room (in the dressing room), or built into the body of the electric furnace itself.
Heating elements in electric sauna stoves can be of three types:
- Tubular (heating elements), made in the form of a tape. Heating elements are capable of heating air to very high temperatures, but they have a serious drawback – they are fragile and their service life is short, and the heating process is slow. Reliable stainless steel heating elements are very expensive. Tape elements are more profitable, heat up faster and are more reliable than heating elements.
- Combined type. The combined type of heaters is the most expensive, but it is he who provides the fastest and most high-quality heating of the air in the steam room.
Electric sauna heaters, as well as wood-burning ones, can be made in any style. They can be located in the middle of the room, stand in the corner, hung on the wall.
Additionally, you can purchase an inlay made of talcomagnesite or talcochlorite, this will not only decorate the stove, but also provide additional protection from high temperatures on the walls of the steam room. These stone panels retain heat well and can be a great addition to the stones inside the stove.
When choosing an oven, you should pay attention to the presence of a valid safety certificate for it and the materials from which it is made.
Rules for the installation of bath electric furnaces
Requirements of SNiP 41-01-2003
This document regulates the basic rules for the placement of electric furnaces in terms of fire safety:
- The stove must be installed in a corner closer to the entrance, however, subject to the requirements of SNiP, installation in the center of the room is also allowed.
- The floor at the installation site of the stove is covered with non-combustible materials.
- The distance between the wall and the furnace body must be at least 0.5 meters in the absence of a screen. If such protection is installed, it is allowed to place the electric furnace closer.
- In the area of the heater, an opening for forced ventilation should be made.
- The body of the oven must be protected by a guard at least 70 cm away from the body.
How to install the body and controls?
The first step is to wash and dry the stones, lay them and turn on the stove. When connecting an empty furnace, the heaters will burn out. When installing the control panel, the following requirements must be met:
- The external control panel is installed in a room where there are no elevated temperatures.
- Wiring is done ahead of time.
- The power that the electrical panel and wires can withstand must not be lower than the power of the electric furnace.
- The presence of an RCD is required.
- In order to avoid contact of wires and heated walls, they are laid in a special tire made of fireproof material.
back to content ↑
Installation of sensors and grounding
It is recommended to use only heat-resistant cables. The presence of twists is excluded, all pieces of wire must be intact. Sensors are usually mounted above the door, heater and steam benches.
Requirements of GOST 12.1.030-81 and wiring section
According to GOST 12.1.030-81, the electrical circuit must be grounded directly or grounded through the shield. As mentioned above, the power that the wiring can withstand must be higher than the power of the furnace itself. The selection of the conductor section is made according to special tables.
Nuances of operation
The electric furnace does not require particularly careful maintenance, but you still need to follow the basic rules for its operation. The main point is compliance with the rules of electrical safety and ventilation of the steam room.
Do not allow water to come into contact with wires or electrical heating parts of the oven. In the steam room, you must always ensure the minimum allowable air circulation. In order to avoid rapid burnout of the heating elements, the load, immediately after starting the furnace, must be applied smoothly.
A bath with an electric stove is a powerful consumer of electricity. When choosing, it will be very important to pay attention to the electricity consumption of the stove, this will save serious amounts, even if the stove is quite expensive.
From an aesthetic point of view, foreign models are superior to Russian counterparts, but they are also more expensive. Specific options should be considered based on the financial capabilities of the purchase, as well as taking into account the volume of the steam room and the power that the electrical wiring and transformer can withstan.